PeruCrew
Friday, August 26, 2005
 
Windstorm


Well I think I now know the type of storm that brought down the plane. We were in our house during lunch hour just sitting in the hammocks and it starts to rain. It begins raining pretty hard and then the wind picks up. But then all of a sudden Tricia looks at the property next to ours and all the trees just bend over. A super strong gust comes whipping through the property. I am looking across the lawn and all of a sudden I see the roof of my neighbors house just peel up and fly away. Four houses lost roofs. Thankfully all the students in the school that I live in were indoors and nobody was hurt. But very large roofs flew a 100 feet or more and landed largely intact. I have never seen anything like it. The wind lasted only for 2 or 3 seconds and that was it. The really weird thing was I ran back to the Refuge of Hope behind our house expecting to find carnage and lots of injuries because there were hundreds of people back there at the time and there was practically no damage. Thankfully the storm was localized to our property. As far as I know, nobody else in Pucallpa was affected. That is a big blessing because if the storm took off our roofs on relatively solidly constructed houses it would have just leveled everything in the communities. Our little house was mercifully saved. But two families and the teachers have lost their homes until a new roof can be put on. Pictures to follow shortly.

UPDATE: Added pictures. Just click on the picture for a full-size image.

|


<< Home

Powered by Blogger